The patella is located anterior (in front) of the femur in the femoral trochlear groove, and “tracks” along this groove depending on how the knee is bent. Patellar instability and pain can happen to anyone once the patella begins to move incorrectly. Most commonly, pain in the front of the knee occurs in:
- Athletes involved in sports with repeated running or jumping
- People employed in heavy manual labour required to climb up and down repeatedly
- People who are overweight
- Individuals with prior patella injuries (dislocation)
- Females as they are predisposed to maltracking.
- People with mal-alignment of the lower limbs
- Patients with arthritis.